Here’s a problem I’ve encountered many times after cleaning up virus/ malware infestations on my client’s computers.
When you try to open EXE files, you may get errors messages like: “Access Denied”, “Runtime error” etc.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type “command.com” , and then press Enter. (A DOS window opens).
3. Type the following, pressing Enter after typing each one.:
cd\4. Navigate to and select the key:
5. In the right pane, double-click the (Default) value.
6. Delete the current value data, and then type:
"%1" %* Tip: Type the characters: quote-percent-one-quote-space-percent-asterisk.
7. Close Regedit utility.